Oz Volvo Nationals 8-10 November - register today! ozvolvo.org/nationals

Towbar fitment for 2002 V40

edited September 27 in General

Hello, I am trying to get a cheap towbar for my 2002 model V40.

i) Does anyone know if a 2003 S40, or a 2004 V50 has the same shape towbar as my 2002 V40? Both of these are available from a car wrecker (recycler) here.

ii) There is also an actual 2003 V40 bar available, but it was hit in the rear, so the tow ball tongue at the end is bent, and I am hesitant to buy it, as I cannot know if it is damaged underneath. Do the main bars get damaged or is it just the tongues that bend up? The rear end damage does not look too bad.

iii) Are the mounting holes already in place on the V40 for these bars, or will I have to drill holes? A picture of my V40 rear is attached.

Thanks in advance.

Astro.

Comments

• jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

Hey Astro, welcome to the forums! Please always use a descriptive title for your threads, I have updated this one from astrolote to Towbar fitment for 2002 V40, so now people know what to expect when they see the thread in the threads list.

• P1 based cars (different shape) will not fit on your car so the v50 option is out

I know @Spac had quite a few towbars at one point that would be right

• SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.

The first generation S40/V40 have the same towbar as each other.

There are threaded holes in the rear chassis rails to mount the towbar to. Most towbar designs will require a small piece to be trimmed out of the centre of the rear bumper.

• Thanks fore the advice, to you all.

So you don't have a suitable bar do you @Spac?

Astro.

Nothing spare, sorry.

• Thanks for your response Spac.

Are you reasonably sure that an S40 will fit my V40?

There is one with a removable tongue in Qld, that I could get for $300 including delivery. Very tempting.

100% sure. The one I fitted to my silver S40 came from a V40.

• Thanks very much for your advice Spac. 

I'll let you know how it goes.

Spac
  • TzantushkaTrent (@Tzantushka) E. suburbs - Melbourne
    edited October 1

Hi,

Don’t purchase a tow bar that has been involved in an impact.

While they may look bent and look like they can be straightened out - they are not designed to.

one option:

if you want the trailer lights to work you’ll also need an Electronic Control Unit (ECU) and trailer wiring socket. the tow bar comes with the vehicle specific harness.

Full disclosure - I know this company very well 😊

First generation x40 trailer plug can be wired old school. No Canbus.