240 240 sedan/family daily driver tyres

Rego time and due for new tyres. I change them so rarely that I don't get to experiment with sizes. So I'm not sure if to stay with the same size. (240 sedan, factory 14" steel rims, 185/70R14, Pirelli P2000 tyres.)

They've been ok I guess. I do know I don't feel 'at ease' at freeway speeds in more than light rain. My hackles go down when I lower speed to 90km/h. But I'm not sure if that's just me, or if I'm instinctively sensing tyre slip if I go any harder. (I do the full speed limit in the dry.)

Q: What is everyone running on their 240 sedan? (It's for a family daily driver, two-thirds on 80km-120km, and one-third on city roads.)

I've thought about maybe going wider. But I recall having wider tyres on a 1970s 244 with manual steering once. Can't recall the specific size, but they were in the 200 range: 205, 215, or 225. They made the manual steering quite heavy - especially as the typical inner-edge wear on the front left tyre appeared. But I'm not sure I'd even feel it now, with power steering on this '91 240 sedan.

Comments

• The trouble with going wider is you have narrow 5.5" wheels. If you don't like the handling now, you won't like it once you go wider on the tyres on the skinny wheels. The sidewall will bulge out and not be as solid or supported when cornering

Put on a set of new 185/70/14 michelins and you'll like it

• Thanks. Most of the tyre sites spit out the wrong size when you select by vehicle. e.g. Michelin selects 185/60-14.

• SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.

14s are becoming restrictive in terms of what sizes you can get in any particular tyre. 185/70 was always uncommon - it seemed like a good idea on a narrow range of cars for a brief period of time.

I would expect that you should expect to end up with 195/65s or similar. The extra “bagginess” on a 5.5” rim won’t be a problem for the way you are using the car - I wouldn’t expect that you could feel the difference until you’re up around a 205 tyre.

• There's too many choices actually. I'm sure there wasn't this many options a few years ago.

Their descriptions are useless in trying to narrow down the choices too.

• As a general rule, most of the major tyres brands have options that are either Eco (meant to use less fuel), Touring (meant to be comfortable and quiet) and Performance (for maximum grip/handling).

Whatever you do, I'd say to steer clear of the cheap brands like Winrun, Goodride etc. Most options from Michelin, Continental, Yokohama etc should be fine.

Have you considered just getting a new set of wheels? Something like a set of Dracos should be pretty easy to find.

In case you're interested, I think my tyres are 205's. The steering is definitely heavier than with the original wheels but I don't find it to be an issue. However as ramrod said, you would need wider wheels to use such tyres.

Spac
  • SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.

205s are ok on 5.5" rims. Definitely not ideal, but not going to cause any problems in day-to-day use.

In very general terms, I divide the brands into three broad categories:

1. Premium brands - the ones you heard of 20 years ago. Mostly european, US or Japanese.
    2. Midrange brands - the ones you heard of 10 years ago but hadn't heard of 20 years ago.
    3. Chinese shit. They're not all total shit, but it is a safe generalisation.

Personally, in category 1, Michelin and Yokohama are my go-to brands.

In category 2, Federal and Hankook seem to be consistently good value.

If you find something that appeals, ask about it specifically and hopefully the brains trust will have some knowledge.

• Running hydras and 205/55/16 Have never let me down

• DauntlessDauntless (@Dauntless) Central West NSW
    edited September 2

I'd recommend getting a set of 15" wheels from a 740 or 940. 195/65R15 is the standard size on almost every base model i30/Corolla sized car made in the last 15 years. This means good brand name tyres are well under $100 each.

Spac
  • The GT has Yohohama 205/65 15 A-Drives mounted on 15x6 740 steel wheels on it, from when I bought it. Good wet weather performance, as tested on the Woodford bends (80 kay speed limit).

• Here's two I'm looking at, though I don't really have any reasoning behind it:

Michelin Energy XM2+

"A car tyre that gives you stopping super power; braking shorter when new and when worn. Key Features: Shorter Wet Braking When New and When Worn. Brakes 1.5m shorter when new and 2.6m shorter when worn vs other premium tyre brands. 25% More Mileage - MICHELIN ENERGY XM2+ Tyres last 25% longer compared to other premium tyre brands. New Rubber Compounds - New formulation of full silica tread compound that contacts the ground in micro-scale resulting in better grip throughout the life of the tyre."

Goodyear OptiLife 2

"Goodyear's OptiLife 2, incorporating Tredlife Technology, features special tread compounds and equalised pressure distribution across the tyre footprint, providing more even tread wear and extended mileage. Also integral is the improved handling performance and better grip on wet and dry road so consumers can drive with confidence. Additionally, the construction of the tyre has been enhanced to provide greater fuel efficiency which we know consumers value."

Basically I want something that feels more confident/grippy in the wet, but doesn't eat away fast in the other 95% of dry driving, and isn't noisy. (I had a set of Kuhmos years ago that were incredibly noisy.)

I've seen cars on the Sydney freeway whose tyres seemed to virtually pump the road dry - leaving tracks even they must be able to view in their rear mirror - plus they're doing the full speed limit with confidence, while I need to slow down to 90. (I'm out ahead of everyone else when it's dry.) I've never had a set of tyres do that/feel that way in the rain. I've looked in my own rear mirror in the rain and while I can see the road behind clearly, I see barely any kind of track.

• My dad swears by Michelin on his Volvos...I think that's a safe bet. I like Pirelli (P6s on several of my cars including the ES and the 91 240 wagon). The P6 is a pretty good overall tyre but not available in that many sizes as it's probably superseded by newer ones. However I got Pirelli Dragon Sport 18 inch tyres on the C30 and they're extremely noisy especially on coarse roads.

• Jax has a deal on Hankook K415 and BFG Advantage at the moment, I'd be looking at those.

• I like Pirelli (P6s on several of my cars including the ES and the 91 240 wagon).

I have Pirelli P6000 on now. I'm pretty sure they're only the third set of tyres the car has ever had on it, LOL.

Jax has a deal on...

Must be for a different size than 185/70-14. :-( All the options I see on Jax are:

• Achilles 122 $95
    • Laufenn G Fit EQ LK41 $95
    • Hankook Kinergy EX H308 $95
    • Goodyear Optilife 2 $115
    • Dunlop Sport LM704 $129
    • Bridgestone Ecopia EP150 $125
    • Michelin Energy XM2+ $135
    • Continental ContiEcoContact 5 $139

Beaurepaires only shows:

• Roadstone Classe Premiere CP661 $89 (never heard of them)
    • Goodyear Optilife 2 $105 ($10 cheaper)
    • Dunlop SP Sport LM704 $129 (same)
    • Continental ContieEcoContact 5 $203 (ouch!)

Tyrepower shows a whole bunch of options, but don't list any prices. I guess they're more expensive than everyone else. ;-p

Btw... Are there any tricks to getting tyres cheaper from Jax? I think they had a buy 4-for-3 deal on a few days ago but I missed it. (I'm buying 5x.)

• There's a few online tyre sellers like tyresales.com.au and also "tempe tyres" that often have cheaper prices. Our local Beaurepaires store agreed to match the online price when I quoted that. Worth a try.

• Another online one is "Tyroola"...so see if either of those 3 online ones has a cheap price on your desired tyre then see if Jax or Beaurepaires will match it.

• Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    edited September 3

Her Indoors s80d5 had Laufenn tyres on it when it came to us and they surprised me.

RE003s much better but a lot more money.

See if anyone has the Japanese made Falken in a good size. They rate very well and ahead of Conti and Michelin these days.

Pirelli have dropped the bag completely......

But you must get some 740 wheels though...

• DauntlessDauntless (@Dauntless) Central West NSW
    edited September 4

Yep, 195/65R15. Totally worth spending $200 or so on a set of wheels. Another consideration is the age of your current tyres. If they're over about 5 years they're likely to be rubbish, regardless of brand/model.

• Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

65 for a bit more comfort and if they are the cheaper option or better range of tyres,gee,even 70 aspect if you want.....