Oz Volvo Nationals 8-10 November - register today! ozvolvo.org/nationals

XC90 Electrical failure. No driver display unit, but aircon still works and all fuses are ok..

Hi There. I have a 2004 volvo xc90 auto petrol. There is an electrical failure which I have trouble resolving. Car lock, electrical windows, driver display unit, radio and indicators don't work. Headlights, aircon, brake lights do work. Anyone familiar what the issue could be and how to fix it. Thanks, Jerry

Comments

• If the battery and altenator check out then you probably have a cem module issue.

The 2004 models can get water damage to the cem module causing all sorts of issues

• Thanks Tim. The battery doesn't check out and the car starts fine so far.

• Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

@timbo ,can a CEM from a used car be programmed in or it need$ to be new$$?

• @Ex850R generally no.... some modules can have their programming wiped (if blanking software is available from volvo), but it needs to be done while the car is still complete and can only be done at a dealership for a fee of about $200. People still try to sell the modules though on ebay...

• Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

Hmmmm, I hate to ask, what's does a CEM module cost and can we get cheap from overseas?

• What's meant by "the car is still complete"? If a CEM is removed (due suspected issues) and replaced with a used part of the same part number then I assume from what you've said a dealer can reload software... What would constitute the vehicle not being complete?

If we are tied to a new CEM from Volvo then the future is dire: these parts will likely be imminently NLA at age 15 and the cars written off.

timbo
  • @ToomanyVolvos if the module is not wiped while fitted to the original car that its from then you can't fit it to another car and wipe the programming as it wont "wake up" to recieve the programming as the vin identifiers are different.