240 Converting solid rotors to vented rotors

What is involved in putting the newer style front rotors on my 1979 245 with solid rotors? I know I'll need new rotors and assuming calipers too with their brake lines?

Is it just a straight forward swap?

Comments

• SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.
    edited August 4

Very straightforward. Bolt on the matching rotors and calipers and away you go.

98.82841% of the vented brakes are Girling but there’s also the ATE vented brakes floating around from early 264s. They also bolt straight on, but are harder to get pads and replacement rotors for - I would definitely go for the Girlings for this reason alone.

• carnut222Greg S (@carnut222) Daylesford VIC

And if you don’t have good calipers, have a look at RockAuto.com...they have rebuilt ones for very good prices. I bought a couple for the 79 (solid rotor) car that I did up and sold and I think it was less than $150AUD for the pair including shipping from the US.

• Thanks for the help! I've havent seen rock auto before.... I think I'll be spending a bit on a few bits!

Yes. Their shipping is quite reasonable too. FYI if you need gas struts for the tailgate they have them great price...they are P/N SG315001 (Sachs/Stabilus). I just bought some for my 240 wagon...along with some NGK Iridium spark plugs. Doubt you’d find them cheaper elsewhere. Prices below are USD and may have changed.

Also if you paste the code below in the “how did you hear about us” box before placing your order, you’ll get a bit of a discount.

With RockAuto you just need to be sure the part is correct for the car...the US variants were different from year to year than what we got (for example most of the later 240s there had ATE rear calipers, where we had Girling, and they had ABS on all of the (I think) 91-93 240s so you’d need to make sure you get the correct non-ABS calipers if you do order. Fuel injection systems differed from year to year vs Oz too...just make sure you double-check part numbers or cross-reference to other sites before ordering.

One more thing - sometimes individual parts come from different warehouses, so if you look at your shopping cart, you’ll see a little truck next to each item with A, B, C etc. If they all say “A” then one shipment, but if some say A, some B, some C, then you’ll get 3 shipments and the shipping cost may be higher...you can play around with deleting say one item that’s coming from “B” to see what happens to shipping if you just order the “A” items. Hope that makes sense. Anyway I can’t speak highly enough of them and bits arrive real quick and I have not been hit with GST or import duty (keep the value below the $500 mark and you should be OK).

• Keep it below $1,000 AUD total to avoid import tax

• Thanks a lot for your hints, been having a look through rock auto for parts, I cant see where they sell brake lines to suit the calipers. Do others sell them or do they need to be made up as custom?

Are you referring to the flexible hoses for the brakes or the hard lines? RockAuto probably doesn’t have either. If you want braided stainless steel flex hoses to replace the original rubber hoses, I have had good luck with the Technafit lines from FCP Euro. Very good for the price. ipd sells SS ones as well, or you can buy HEL lines via various vendors. The Technafit are DOT approved and hence legal in Australia and are the least expensive option for SS, or you can go with standard rubber replacement lines.

You would need 4 front and 2 rear hoses to make a set. ipd’s set is pricier at $169.95 but probably a bit higher quality. Not worth it for more than double the price IMHO. Note yours being a 79 you should be OK with the hoses listed above. The only dramas I’ve had are on the 93 240s where the non-ABS cars got 2x ABS-style hoses in the rear for the last run of production.

On the 240 there are 2 small hard lines between each front caliper and the flex hoses - I’ve had trouble getting these undone from the flex hoses even using a proper flare wrench, so consider ordering some of the hard lines as well or grab some from the wreckers to have as spare. Not sure where you can get new ones at the moment. The hard lines would need to be bent to the correct shape using your original as a template. Hope that helps.

• Maybe you have other reasons for swapping but I'll mention this just in case...

I remember a conversation with my mechanic I go to for things I can't do myself. He said in his experience with 240 slotted rotors you are lucky if you get one skim (machine the surface flat again) before having to replace them, whereas you can get 2 or sometimes 3 skims out of solid rotors.

245wagon
  • Thanks again carnut, I'll definitely check them out.

After doing some research I do require hard lines too, I have the older style with the nut on the end, as pictured below:

I'm under the impression this style I need?

Thanks again for your help, I dont think I can buy these new and there are no pull it yourself wreckers with 240's in stock at the moment that I can see... I'll have to try and pick them up from someone

edited August 8

Interesting. I had a 79 sedan that I just did up to sell (thread here: https://ozvolvo.org/discussion/9201/greg-s-1979-244dl-white-4-speed-manual-single-carb/p1 ) and I put the Technafit SS lines on from FCP Euro. That car had the front hard lines like the 2nd one in your photo with male threads on each end (and female ends on the front flex hoses). I guess it could be an early vs. late build thing or compliance plate 79 but model year 78 or something? What’s the VIN on your 245? According to the US websites the brake hose design was changed for the 78 model...but it could be a bit later for OZ as assuming it’s locally assembled the kits were potentially a year behind due to shipping etc. Have you already removed your flex hoses? If so, do the front ones have male ends? That would be early style...late style have female ends. Again, transition year would be in the 78/79 so would be interested to know the VIN and compliance date on your car. If you can snap a pic of the VIN plate and paste it here, that would be good.

• Turns out mine is actually a '77 after looking at the plate 🤪 it makes a lot of sense for the style of hoses on mine.

I'll put up a post regarding the hard lines, thanks for your help again

carnut222