kjet thermo time switch

pigdogdave (@pigdog) Wollongong NSW

hey guys would anyone have a good thermo time switch i could buy for the 360 figured its time i finally fix the cold start issue but every switch i find is broken just pulled another one out of a kjet car today in hopes i could fix the problem only to find it was more broken then my one haha

seems IPD sell them but for $141usd + shipping ill just deal with shitty cold starts haha

i would need it posted to wollongong nsw unless you are close by

cheers guys

Comments

• That's not your problem. The cold start valve only works at temperatures below -15°

• pigdogdave (@pigdog) Wollongong NSW

its the only thing that hasnt been changed on the car, was starting fine before but since the thermo switch has been disconnected it takes a fair bit of cranking before it will kick over then will idle poorly for 20 secs or so before it will idle normally ... any suggestions to what the issue could be if not the switch?

• edited August 4

How is the warm and hot restart? How long after it sits does it take long to start? Vacuum leaks?

warm and hot starts are perfect it would have to sit for a fair few hours for the issue to come back .. no vac leaks every hose is new and has been checked the issue only started when the thermal switch broke .

from what ive read The thermal time switch can fail in its normally closed position, which would cause continuous extra fuel from the cold start injector or fail in the open position which would cause starting problems

• jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

@ramrod that's true for LH-Jetronic, but K-Jet is different. The cold-start injector runs for 7.5 seconds on startup at temps below -20°C, with this time decreasing until at +35°C it does not open at all (I'm reading this out of the green book)

@pigdog you can test the thermal time switch by putting a multimeter into continuity mode and dipping it in hot water. After a few seconds the switch should go open circuit.

pigdog

I think the problem with mine is the plastic end of the switch is all broken so the plug can't actually plug onto the switch properly Ive kinda got it wedged on and cable tied in place but I don't think it's working haha

• Then if in fact that is the case, repair the broken part and re-test. Always fix what's currently broken before changing another working part

thats what im trying to do haha i need another thermal switch to put in so i can see if thats the problem if not ill move onto the next thing .. the plastic ends seem to all break ive pulled 3 off kjet cars so far and all are in worse condition then mine

That plug housing always seems to go brittle and break

• carnut222Greg S (@carnut222) Daylesford VIC

I’m sure I will have one off a B21E...whether it’s any good is another story. I can have a look and happy to post it to you for testing...can just throw it in a padded bag for a couple bucks so no skin off my back. Will let you know.

Yeah I'm yet to find one that's not broken and don't really want to pay $140usd from ipd to get a new one .

If I knew for sure it will fix the cold start problem I may but someone has to have one laying around I can buy.

That would be great mate let me know I'm running out of issues to fix so the cold start problem is now at the top of the list haha

@pigdog When the car is cold, bypass the switch with a length of wire. If it fixes the cold start issue then you have isolated the issue. If not, the accumulator and the warm up regulator would be the next things to test.

pigdog

Also is fuel pump check valve OK?

i have no idea haha not quite sure what that is or if the 360 even has it , there's been no reference to it in anything ive read but getting 360 info is not the easiest task .

im going with the thermal switch cause the car was starting fine then the plastic bit on the switch broke and the plug wouldn't connect properly and ever since has had hard cold starts

I believe the K-jet fuel pump has a check valve. On the outlet...but I could be wrong - maybe they have a check valve in the accumulator?

the 360 doesnt run K-jet i just posted kjet thermal switch cause they both share the same part and its my best bet of finding one noone has 360 stuff haha

OK, sorry. Does it run LH? If so, there should be a check valve on the fuel pump. If it takes a lot of cranking to start, the check valve could be bad and it takes a while to build pressure. Just a thought!

• Angus242164Angus (@Angus242164) Western Victoria

I should have at least one TTS with intact connector, you'd be looking at $30 posted.

Fuel pumps on K-Jet cars have a check valve built into the outlet fitting on the pump.

Do any 360's have K-Jet? I thought they were all EFI.

Nope not LH either haha

Think it's LE-jetronic or something along those lines it's EFI just weird

If you do that would be great $30 posted is fine with me .

Nah they are EFI but they use the same TTS as kjet cars figured it's my best bet

• Angus242164Angus (@Angus242164) Western Victoria

No worries, the 760 Turbo's also used the same TTS as the K-Jet models despite being EFI. I'll see what I have and get back to you.