240 240 fuel leak from hose near fuel pump - easily replaceable?

Hi, 1990 240 wagon which, when on, whizzes a small amount of fuel out of this hose. Car stinks of fuel as a result, and economy isn't too great.

Anyone know what the part is, its difficulty to replace and if there are any tricks? I'm guessing it might be a 'high pressure' hose (no idea what PSI a fuel pump pumps to), does that mean the clamps/holding components are not your regular hose clamps? Any and all info would be great. I use the car to as a childcare hauler, and will have to cease until it's fixed due to the fumes.

Thanks.

Comments

• turboslobBob (@turboslob) Canberra region

I cocked up, upon closer inspection it's leaking from the external fuel pump, where the yellow connector joins the fuel pump (metal fuel pump case has split).

Anyone know if, when replacing the external fuel pump, when I remove the feed line to the external fuel pump it'll start leaking fuel? Or is there a stop-valve in the tank's pump? If it does leak, what's common to plug it? I've a full tank of gas....

Ordered a new pump today, will be here in about a week. Me, and everything in the garage stinks of fuel - I'm mildly high.

Thanks.

• Suck the fuel out or just plug the hose with a cork or bolt or something

turboslob
  • Angus242164Angus (@Angus242164) Western Victoria

The pressure in the tank will force fuel out of the hose, especially in warm weather. Remove the fuel cap to release the pressure, if you find it still flows, then clamp the hose, or if you don't have hose clamping pliers, fit a bolt into the end with a hose clamp.

carnut222turboslob
  • carnut222Greg S (@carnut222) Daylesford VIC

And don’t blow yourself up! :)

turboslob
  • turboslobBob (@turboslob) Canberra region

Job done.

If anyone else is doing it for the first time, make sure you have a torx set handy (well, mine had one torx bolt and despite trying approx 50 times, the allen-key wouldn't fit). Also, the hose from the tank to the pump stops leaking once the fuel from the hose has drained (I didn't lose the contents of my tank and it was just about full) - doesn't necessarily need to be plugged.