240 Catalytic converter

What are potential causes for concern if caught driving a car with a gutted cat? I have heard the fine is $10,000

How relaxed are the inspectors if you play stupid and pretend it was like that when you got it? Is ignorance an excuse and would it get me out of trouble in court? The car has the standard exhaust, and isn't loud at all

Comments

• I think it would be fair to claim ignorance.

Its not like they emmision test cars as part of the annual inspection, so how would a regular person know if they had a functioning cat convertor.

That being said im currently on the phone to the epa dobbing you in, do not try to run the police are already on their way.

ALVO360nugget_940egads
  • Agree with @timbo. I don't think ACT does emissions testing or any state for that matter, but may be wrong.

I'd be more concerned about racing undercover cops while eating a burger.

nugget_940timbo
  • Gut the cat and put a pipe through the centre, in the rare occasion that someone has a peek then it will look like it's still there.

Ran my old exhaust system like that for 2 years no issues and never got pulled up.

• jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

Ignorance generally isn't a defence, but it's unlikely you'll get picked up for it unless your car otherwise looks suspect, or you get unlucky and encounter a HWP officer who can smell it.

I don't think you'd ever get such a huge fine though, normally you'd just have to get the car through an EPA inspection to restore rego.

• SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.

If you hang around popular 'cruise' spots for modified cars and get caught up in a blitz, then you can get caught.

I have bought apparently standard cars with gutted cats, so it is entirely possible that you bought the car like that and didn't know.

Still, high flow cats aren't that expensive. If you care about the car, I think it is worth the money.

egads