2019 Nationals in Bathurst are 8-10 November, just over three months away! Make sure to register at ozvolvo.org/nationals!

240 Dash Assembly needed in USA

Hello there.

I am in the USA and I am wanting a RHD dash from a 240. Any later style dash will work for me. I have been searching and it seems that no one is willing to help ship one to the USA.

I have connections to all sorts of parts here and I am willing to help anyone who is willing to help me.

If you seem interested in helping me with my goals, please let me know.

Thank you all!

Here is my wagon:

timbopaul0075alphaxALVO360nugget_940

Comments

• Nice wagon. Just to confirm you want the entire dash? Do you have a link for a build thread or instagram

@Philia_Bear might be able to help

• Hey @MrBrown

Do you need the whole dash or just part of it?

Shipping is the killer on it due to volumetric size.... and it's possibly oversize as well

• Saw your wagon in the IPD FB page. Looks mint. Hope your search for bits goes well.

• I have a dash of be happy to sell, just need to look into shipping it out.

• My IG account is : @Mrbrown_Ghettofab

I only need the upper dash and not the console and I do not need the cluster or air conditioning vents. I would like the dash to have the peices that go around the air conditioning vents though.

• Do you have any pictures of the dash? How soon can you get a shipping quote? Thank you sir.

• I don't really know what part of it means. I need the upper dash if that makes sense...

• Is this to convert your wagon to rhd?

Lhd has so much room for turbo compared to the rhd

• The answer is yes. I am aware I will be doing some work to make it happen. My manifold is finished and once the booster and steering column/rack are installed, I will work on the down pipe.

Bad thing is, before I get this party started I will need the dash and steering rack... I figured someone must have an extra one laying around. Freight will be costly but I have to pay to play.

• Angus242164Angus (@Angus242164) Western Victoria

I have them in full black, full blue and black top/tan lower, and all the other RHD specific parts including racks. I can organise a freight quote if you're not in a big hurry.

As a point of reference, about five years ago I had two sets of plastic louvres for 240 rear windows shipped to the US in a large box, shipping cost was $530AUD.

• I am willing to be extremely patient if you are willing to get a quote for a full black dash and pieces, and the rack as well...Also I lost the throttle cable I paid a fortune for so I will need that too. Please let me know what you come up with for the total so I can see if I can afford it.

• @MrBrown - you may also need the left and right firewall plates. What year model is your body? (IIRC without looking at the book, they changed the shape of them from late 140 style, starting with 1979 year models, but happy to be corrected on this).

Also, the pedal box is different between LHD and RHD models, as is the wiper sweep mechanism.

• My car is a 91. The firewall plate on the US passenger side is the same from the pictures I have been seeing. I wouldn't mind having this verified for sure though. If you happen to have a photo.

I am leaving the wipers alone since I already welded in a new panel there to convert to the flat hood. Hopefully it will fit without too much modification.

Confirmed pedal box is the same.

Thank you again!

• My car is a 91. The firewall plate on the US passenger side is the same from the pictures I have been seeing. I wouldn't mind having this verified for sure though. If you happen to have a photo.

Here's a picture stolen from @carnut222 's thread, of his 79 wagon.

I did a bit of digging in the parts books. In Volvo parlance, each black firewall plate is called a hatch. The LHD and RHD hatches do bear different part numbers.

I'm unsure if this is because they're pressed differently, or if they're just drilled differently (LHD cars are a bit thin on the ground here to compare them visually...). So I'm going by the numbers in the book. For example, p/n 1246235-4 appears to have a 17.5mm hole for fitting the slidey-lever-type UCOMBU heater box, which we didn't see a lot of in OZ.

Here's a list of hatches - many of which carried through from the 1979 year model to the end of production.

left, lhd = 1382106-1 [1979 on]

left, rhd = 1247706-8 [1979 on]

right, lhd = 1246235-4 [1979]

right, lhd = 1315028-9 [-1990 option] [std in 1985-7] [1979-83 = LHD INCL B21F CALIFORNIA, B21F (J) B27F,B28F. (1304991)]

right, lhd = 1382461-0 1991-, no abs [was 1382408]

right, lhd = 1382461-0 1991-, abs [was 1382414]

right, rhd = 1382113-7 [was 1255566] [1304987 alt superceded in 1985-7] [1979-84 std] 

• With respect to the firewall plates, I fitted 93 ones to my 79 and it was a direct bolt-in, so that confirms the 79 and later shape change I guess. The plates are specific for LHD and RHD as the brake booster needs a square/flat form to mount to. We could ship over some firewall plates for you too! :)

• Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

In reality its just a bit if metal and can be fabricated any how you like , not worth the cost of post unless you want original , then get it from Canada?

• Angus242164Angus (@Angus242164) Western Victoria

Canada is actually also left hand drive country, my understanding is that it's to avoid head on crashes occurring at the border crossings.

DCW242carnut222goodenough
  • It's so they can have cheap cars like the Americans

@MrBrown

I can easily fit a rack into my luggage, just not a dash

Did You want new or refurb or used? And which brand?