850 850R front spring and shock combos

jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

I've owned two 850Rs, and both came with Koni adjustable front shocks on stock 850R springs, and it is honestly a garbage combination, the Koni even on its softest setting is too aggressive for the stock spring.

So now both my Konis are leaking at the top and I have an excuse to hurl the whole assembly into the Sun and replace it with a matched set of shocks and springs.

So I'm looking for opinions on what goes well. I don't want to run coilovers. I've always liked the response of Bilstein HDs if that helps guide the discussion.

Also if you want to flog parts off on me feel free to say so.

Comments

• B4's and H&R springs are a good combination

• Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    edited July 24

Have Ash rebuild the Koni. Make em what you want.

They do last longer than the usual fare.

• jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

Yeah but I run into the problem of having a car with half its strut missing sitting in my driveway for two weeks

• Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

Has Bear got some scrappy ones sitting in the mean time? I always dreamed of having springs and built dampers from Ash for my P80 cars. Would be so helpful in comfort,grip etc. Especially grip....

@AshDVS keen to hear what you think actually, if I were to get you to rebuild my Koni sport adjustables, what spring would you pair them with?

• I have a 10 year old set of koni adjustables paired with H&R sport lowering springs that have aged well together. Lots of love for the bilsteins in the states though, seems to be a top pick paired with a number of different spring configurations. only thing I never liked about konis (maybe not a problem here) is the winter salted roads kill the paint in a matter of months.

jamesinc

So it turns out my wagon already has H&R lowering springs, at least on the rear. Glad I looked up the numbers printed on them. I need to look more closely at the fronts to see if they have markings. I think this wagon originally had Nivomats in the rear but was at some point converted to conventional shock and spring.