140 Engine mount dimensions

Hi,

I keep breaking engine mounts on the rally 144. A mate here has access to BMW urethane ones that he thinks will fit and be a lot stronger. I'm currently in the US - a long way from the car and my spares.

Could someone measure a 144 engine mount for me so I can see if anything might work?

Thanks

John

Comments

• SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.

Don't do it. Urethane ones break in rally cars just as easily as rubber ones.

There's two possible, realistic solutions:

1. "World Cup" style engine mounts. This is my preferred option.
    2. Adding a third mount that runs from somewhere high up on the motor to the inner guard. You'll need to check your rules, because lots of classes don't allow extra mounts.

I had pretty good success with chains over 240 mounts in the 244s, but chains weren't a long term solution for the 164 (which has basically the same geometry as 144 mounts).

egads
  • Have you tried a big 164 version?

140: dia 65mm, height 38mm.

160: dia 75mm, height 42mm.

• bgpzfm142bgpzfm142 (@bgpzfm142) Launceston TAS
    edited July 13

I used these in my 144, back in the day.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/132549333802

The measurements are in the eBay ad pic, although the Volvo ones may be a bit fatter in the rubber area.

They are (were) a Motorcraft part, so you may find they also fit something else in the US.

PS - Congrads on the P2P - top 10 outright and class podium finish!

• Space, good comment. I've been thinking of world cup mounts, but haven't worked out a design I like.

Ian, I'm using the 164 mounts.

Bgetc, thanks for the congrats. Hard work event. We should have finished one place higher but for a nav problem on a timed section...

• I think part of my problem might be the torque of the new stroker. Never happened with the old 2litre, but we broke them in a week on COT last year. I hate to think what they'll be like after P2P. Hanging on by the chains, I guess.