2019 Nationals in Bathurst are 8-10 November, just over three months away! Make sure to register at ozvolvo.org/nationals!

240 Steering Slop

Hi,
I've noticed i have a little free-play in my steering rack and wondered is this something that wears out (bushes/joints internally) that i could easily replace myself or is it recommended to get the rack fully rebuilt at this point in its life?

The car has 280,000kms on it.

Thanks,
Martin

Comments

• Rebuilt racks are cheap
    Checking tierods also a good idea
  • SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.
    edited July 8
    Also check the rubber in the lower part of the column. I’ve had more of them die than racks/rack ends/tie rod ends.

The bushes in the ends of the racks often wear. Roadworthy inspectors love to knock back cars that make the clunk they make when these bushes are worn, but I have never been able to feel any vagueness or instability from this wear in a 240.

Also, if it is the rack ends, make sure you get the correct ones. With the cars being so old now, and so many of them having exchange racks fitted, along with Volvo’s love of just fitting whatever part, it is very risky to trust any of the online fitment guides.
    carnut222
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    edited July 8
    @morch_66479 you can get rebuilt exchange racks for about $500, or some shops will rebuild it for as little as about $250 assuming the piston chrome plating isn't damaged or rusting. A bit of wear in the pinion is okay as it can be adjusted with shims.

Edit: I am assuming it's a power steering rack and not a manual rack, confirm?
  • @jamesinc Yes it's power steering rack, I must pull off the boots and have a proper look and also check the mounting rubbers for wear @Spac .
    I'll let you know what I find, again thank you very much for all the info.

I've just been chipping away at different items over the past month - it's nearly like a mini restoration haha
    T Belt is the next on the "To Do" list :)
    Spac
  • SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.
    kd2i9mtk3ppa.jpg

Your lower steering column probably looks like the one in the top of this photo.

Inside the fat section, is a rubber vibration dampener. These can die and introduce a lot of slop to the steering. They have a fail-safe design so the steering remains connected, just sloppy.
    egadscarnut222