The forums were recently upgraded, and this may alter behavior or break things. If you notice problems, check and report them in this thread

XC90 What year of XC90 D5 capable for short trips?

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of a D5, but am worry because I usually drive short distances (10km or less most of the time).

I heard it's bad for diesel engine. But anyone has any idea that a later XC90 model improved to cope with short distance driving? Or how we can mitigate these issues if possible?

I am still on a ... journey to find a suitable XC90 for my family.

Much appreciate all your inputs!

Comments

• Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Any diesel is not suitable for short trips unless ypou take it for a freeway drive at over 90kmh for more than a half hour every week or two. the economy just isnt worth the cost of maintaining a short trip diesel car of any sort , so many peeps have been sucked in. (unless like my missus , she drives like she STOLE her S80D5 ALL THE TIME! And it gets a 6 hour drive at 100kmh every month or so to the country. Even then,you need to pay to have the DPF cleaned out by hand every 6 months or so.
    Get a T6 XC60.....
    Unless you get a late model XC90 , not the old shape but then i dont know which motor you may need in them.
    timbothewall
  • Thanks Snoopy@Ex850R for your advice. So I will look for a petrol then. XC60 is great too but I need to go for XC90 for its size/seat.

So XC90 V8 or 2.5 are viable options I guess. Heard lots for issues with 3.2.
    If you look on here , @Philia_Bear is selling the best XC90V8 right now , as he is ex Volvo Tech its all sorted.
    thewall
  • It's not about diesel or petrol, more so avoiding improper usage. It is actually a warranty voiding cause. Grandma who only drove to church 5 minutes away is doing more harm than good
    thewall
  • And to answer your question, no car likes short trips. You must do 1-2 hour trips per week to reach operation temperature for reliable future performance
    thewall
  • Any diesel is not suitable for short trips unless ypou take it for a freeway drive at over 90kmh for more than a half hour every week or two. the economy just isnt worth the cost of maintaining a short trip diesel car of any sort , so many peeps have been sucked in. (unless like my missus , she drives like she STOLE her S80D5 ALL THE TIME! And it gets a 6 hour drive at 100kmh every month or so to the country. Even then,you need to pay to have the DPF cleaned out by hand every 6 months or so.
    Get a T6 XC60.....
    Unless you get a late model XC90 , not the old shape but then i dont know which motor you may need in them.

I'm far more of a fan of the drive-e xc60s at this point
    The t5 version is solid with the fwd setup and the fuel economy is way better than the t6 varrient

Xc90 d5, the thing is heavy enough that even a 60 minute drive once a fortnight is enough to get everything nice and warm
    I've never had issues with the dpf... just the egr and swirl flaps and other bits found in the earlier ones

Shameless link to my xc90 v8
    https://ozvolvo.org/discussion/11144/nsw-my2012-xc90-v8-r-design-fo-sale#latest
    thewall
    Yes , apologies, I meant egr not dpf.
    Buy the V8!
  • And to answer your question, no car likes short trips. You must do 1-2 hour trips per week to reach operation temperature for reliable future performance

I guess I need to go farther weekly then. Take family somewhere...

But if short trips are inevitable without long trips to rectify, then petrol is still better comparatively don't you think?
  • If you look on here , @Philia_Bear is selling the best XC90V8 right now , as he is ex Volvo Tech its all sorted.

Yes it's in my dream! Still need to discuss with my wife for budget increase :(
    Yes,petrol is best. But as said above,a car that does short trips is bound to wear excessively and a longer trip will help burn off any condensed water in the oil and fuel that gets in it too so you really need short oil change intervals to help too.
    thewall
  • Any diesel is not suitable for short trips unless ypou take it for a freeway drive at over 90kmh for more than a half hour every week or two. the economy just isnt worth the cost of maintaining a short trip diesel car of any sort , so many peeps have been sucked in. (unless like my missus , she drives like she STOLE her S80D5 ALL THE TIME! And it gets a 6 hour drive at 100kmh every month or so to the country. Even then,you need to pay to have the DPF cleaned out by hand every 6 months or so.
    Get a T6 XC60.....

I'm far more of a fan of the drive-e xc60s at this point
    The t5 version is solid with the fwd setup and the fuel economy is way better than the t6 varrient

Xc90 d5, the thing is heavy enough that even a 60 minute drive once a fortnight is enough to get everything nice and warm
    I've never had issues with the dpf... just the egr and swirl flaps and other bits found in the earlier ones

Shameless link to my xc90 v8
    https://ozvolvo.org/discussion/11144/nsw-my2012-xc90-v8-r-design-fo-sale#latest

Thank you @Philia_Bear . XC60 is great, but I am looking for 7 seaters, hence XC90. Your car is my dream!!
  • Yes,petrol is best. But as said above,a car that does short trips is bound to wear excessively and a longer trip will help burn off any condensed water in the oil and fuel that gets in it too so you really need short oil change intervals to help too.

Thanks Snoopy for the advice! That will help a ton!