The forums were recently upgraded, and this may alter behavior or break things. If you notice problems, check and report them in this thread

Someone mention crack pipe

Comments

• Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    That's about right.
    It's original. Never going to see one like it again.
  • gavinhGav (@gavinh) Parmelia, Perth
    I know but one owner who got it in 2008? Na still not a 19k car, but it's worth what ever someone will pay
    edited July 4
    I know but one owner who got it in 2008? Na still not a 19k car, but it's worth what ever someone will pay

That's right.
    And tight arse Volvo drivers won't , but will buy a shitbox and spend more doing it up...
    martin
  • gavinhGav (@gavinh) Parmelia, Perth
    @Ex850R 🤣 so true
  • $19K, and has its Check Engine Light on?

ehklm81kn7wp.jpg
    timboSpacnugget_940Vee_Que
    When doesn't an old Volvo not have it on....or bulb failure...
  • When doesn't an old Volvo not have it on....or bulb failure...

When you're asking 4 times the average sale price for a car of similar condition, without any warning lights.
    SpacVee_Que
  • Please make the whitewalls GO AWAY
    Vee_Que
    When doesn't an old Volvo not have it on....or bulb failure...

When you're asking 4 times the average sale price for a car of similar condition, without any warning lights.

It's got white walls.
  • SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.
    If you believe the hype about 240 prices, you might try for $9k.
    If you believe your own bullshit, you might think that $19k is not a joke.

I can entertain an optimistic asking price for a very low mileage car, but not with visible faults, not with whitewalls*, and not this optimistic.

*Without commenting on the aesthetic value of whitewalls, the fact is that they are a non-period modification that clearly reduces the value of a car that only has its originality to try to justify the ridiculous asking price.
    bgpzfm142Vee_Que
  • Yeah, if it was a stunningly beautiful GT with those K's and flawless, but...
    Vee_Que
  • Broken odometer. This guy sells rubbish cars
    timboSpac
  • One of a kind eh?
    'Stored in dry conditions in Western Victoria'... Old MacDonald's Farm?
    Cracks in dash, electric aerial broken, faded body trim & rear parcel shelf, door pocket/kick panel broken, inside of boot scratched-up (hay bails/assorted farm machinery), white walls on one side only and all the dash warning lights under the sun screaming "Please, just leave me alone!"
    Yep, she's a real peach, and can be yours for just $19k?

Guy's obviously a lunatic. I'm calling security.

mjvvq7x604yh.png
    timboSpacVee_Que
  • Maybe he hit an extra zero by mistake.
  • I'm thinking of offering a low KLM (130K) sedan (89) that I'm the second owner of. It's immaculate, always garaged etc etc. Since you couldn't restore the average mediocre one to this standard for less than 20+K (and then it'd never be original anyway), I think to the right buyer that these prices are not outrageous of the car is actually exceptional (not suggesting the one in the opening thread is or is not).

At these toppy prices you'd probably have to sit on it for some time and also advertise in Europe, where these kind of prices are sometimes asked for really good 240's.

I'll probably be offering mine for a more palatable 10K, only because I've got multiple other projects and the car only gets used to keep fresh fluids flowing through her veins.
  • SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.
    The market for the genuinely immaculate 240s is there, but people don’t seem to understand that the condition vs price curve is not linear.

If this really was in showroom condition, then - while I think $19k is still very optimistic - I can see why he'd be testing the market. But the value drops away very rapidly between genuinely immaculate down to merely "very good".
    And even overlooking a few questionable aspects of the car and the ad (whitewalls, advertised history), this is only a "good" one that happens to have very low kays (assuming the odo still works).
    Vee_Que
  • Wouldn’t have taken a genius to unplug the odo for the first few half of its life
  • I really don't think people tinker with odometers on 240's to make $$$. Early sports cars and supercars, yes.

Odometers failed often enough on these to warrant investigation on any low KLM car to confirm condition matches odometer. Strangely some seem to have working odometers at very high mileage and others fail early. Buyer beware.
    goodenough
  • Strangely some seem to have working odometers at very high mileage and others fail early.

It mostly occurs when someone presses the reset button. Years ago I bought a 1978 from the original owner with working odometer. It broke the moment I zeroed it. Several years before that the same thing with a 1976 model. Needless to say I no longer press reset.

By the look of the seat cloth on this car the kms are either correct, or close to it. But apart from that I'm not seeing anything to justify the spectacular price. Especially given that photo is of the passenger seat.
    ToomanyVolvosgoodenoughVee_Que
  • Wow. I have a 1991 240 with a genuine 107 K and books to prove it going back to original purchase. Condition probably good to very good and I value that at about six to eight. Where does nineteen come from???.

SpacVee_Que