Central Locking won't open all doors

Hi,
Just trying to sort out a little issue with the RL door, it locks via the central locking but won't unlock. via central locking (key in door action).

However the RL door locks and unlocks correctly when using the lock pin inside.

Not sure how to approach this, wiring i guess but any common cases or experience would be great as i don't like pulling it apart, tend to break all the fragile plastics.

Thanks,
Martin

Comments

• The motor could be getting weak, and or damaged wiring
    carnut222
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Which car?
  • Sorry it's a 1989 Volvo 240
  • On my old car (not a volvo) the door lock actuator would trigger, but no have enough strength to always lock or unlock.

Without spending money on new parts, take the door panel off, and try to see if you can clean/lubricate some parts to help it.
    ALVO360bgpzfm142morch_66479
  • Without spending money on new parts, take the door panel off, and try to see if you can clean/lubricate some parts to help it.

This.

The mechanism may not have had any new lube on it for 20+ years. I have had 240s and 740 with central door locks and electric windows problems cured by a bit of cleaning and lubrication.

carnut222morch_66479
  • carnut222Greg S (@carnut222) Daylesford VIC
    Without spending money on new parts, take the door panel off, and try to see if you can clean/lubricate some parts to help it.

This.

The mechanism may not have had any new lube on it for 20+ years. I have had 240s and 740 with central door locks and electric windows problems cured by a bit of cleaning and lubrication.

And once you have the door panel off, after lubricating everything it’s extremely easy to test the solenoid as there is a 2-pin connector on the lead going to the solenoid...unplug it and apply 12v to the terminals (depending on what way you apply the + and - the actuator will either lock or unlock). You can easily detach the locking rod from the actuator to rule out binding in the locking mechanism. I have seen the 240 actuators get weak in one direction so that could be your problem. If not then likely a broken wire where the wires pass through the door hinge area/rubber boot.
    morch_66479bgpzfm142
  • Thanks for the insight, i'll get onto this soon. I might even have somebody lock and unlock the door whilst i sit at the broken door and see whether it at least tries to move up. I'll let you know what i find.

Off topic: I spent the day replacing the gear shift mechanism (auto) because me previous plastic trim was broken - what a job to get it all out and back in again.
  • I had a look at my 240 tonight and just pulled the lock pin up and down a dozen of times and now it works just fine. If it starts playing up again in the future ill get inside and lube the mechanism so it can actuate easier.
    Thanks,
    Martin
    carnut222