Oz Volvo Nationals 8-10 November - register today! ozvolvo.org/nationals

XC70 Shakes on accelerations

Today, whilst coming up out of Wollongong, I had some pretty serious shaking going on when pushing hard up those hills between 80 and 100 kph. If I backed off, it stopped. It wasn't felt in the steering wheel so I don't think its wheel balance or alignment issues. I recently had a mechanic tell me that my lower engine mounts needed replacing, but those Hutchison mounts were purchased (from IPD) in October of 2017 (at 200770 kms) and I have not done any heavy miles since then.
I had the drive shafts replaced in 2015 at 158000 kms.
Currently the car has 222500 on the odometer.
Any thoughts as what it could be?

Comments

• Sounds like spark plugs or coils to me
  • Sounds like spark plugs or coils to me

Calvin, if it were plugs or coils, wouldn't I get Pcodes on my Torque app? And wouldn't it affect speeds other than the 80k region? Are you thinking that under load, at 83k the engine might be only running on 4 cylinders and therefore vibrating madly?
  • edited July 3
    If the lower engine TORQUE mount wasn't replaced and only the lower front and back engine mounts ? then you get very loud vibration. When you accelerate hard the engine pulls hard against this mount and creates a lot of vibration.

Its easy to check just unbolt it, two 14mm bolts to gearbox and two 18mm nuts to sub frame and if the rubber is perished it will be metal on metal, easy exchange, buy one on ebay.com.au.

Hope this helps
  • There's something else on those XC70 cars that vibrates when it wears out. It's been years and I can't remember, but it's very common on the XC70 cars
  • If the lower engine TORQUE mount wasn't replaced and only the lower front and back engine mounts ? then you get very loud vibration. When you accelerate hard the engine pulls hard against this mount and creates a lot of vibration.

Its easy to check just unbolt it, two 14mm bolts to gearbox and two 18mm nuts to sub frame and if the rubber is perished it will be metal on metal, easy exchange, buy one on ebay.com.au.

Hope this helps

The Torque mount (IPD part 113266) was replaced in October 2017, along with the two lower mounts. I have not replace the upper mount. Could that one be the culprit?
  • edited July 4
    x0xv54ktcrn1.jpeg
    Yes it could be the culprit. Again it’s a very cheap fix. Get one off eBay.com.au. Don’t want to be pessimistic but are you sure the other mounts were replaced ? Picture is of the LOWER torque mount.
  • RH driveshaft inner tripod joints can fail and cause this issue.
  • x0xv54ktcrn1.jpeg
    Yes it could be the culprit. Again it’s a very cheap fix. Get one off eBay.com.au. Don’t want to be pessimistic but are you sure the other mounts were replaced ? Picture is of the LOWER torque mount.

Andy, Can't be 100% they were replaced but my mechanic is a pretty good guy and I don't think he would have screwed me. I think maybe I'll get the upper mount off ebay (or IPD) and replace that to see if there is any improvement. Thanks
  • RH driveshaft inner tripod joints can fail and cause this issue.

tripod joints? Is that the CV coming out of the tranny?
  • x0xv54ktcrn1.jpeg

Andy, Can't be 100% they were replaced but my mechanic is a pretty good guy and I don't think he would have screwed me. I think maybe I'll get the upper mount off ebay (or IPD) and replace that to see if there is any improvement. Thanks

I'm sure he has done the right thing by you, also take a look at the Right Hand side mount too, if all the others have been done just make sure this one is too. $56 on ebay.com.au so might aswell do this one as its easy. There are a total of 5 engine mounts.
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Make sure it's a good new mount or you do it all again very soon especially the gearbox mount.....
    Andypick
  • UPDATE: I replaced the upper engine mount with a new one from IPD. Almost all of the vibration is gone!!! IPD charged me U$43.95 plus shipping. Locally, they wanted AU$245 for the same part. Replacing it myself was fairly easy once I was able to loosen the bolts (not easy).

Thanks everyone for your comments

carnut222Andypickshlowsby
  • Great news Al. New engine mounts make a big difference. The right hand side one causes a lot of vibration when worn so check that one too if it hasn’t been replavex. Again cheap and easy to do. 😊👍