2019 Nationals in Bathurst are 8-10 November, just over three months away! Make sure to register at ozvolvo.org/nationals!

360 Animosity!

edited June 22 in General
Alright, here's a little 'story of my life', story:

I put the 360 in for some painting. Not the whole car, just a small section.

Paint shop takes an extra week and charges me about 20% more. Not a big deal as it was communicated to me by owner throughout the process and the job was already quite cheap.

I was told to pick the red rocket up at 4pm Friday. I gave them notice before my arrival and was expecting everything to be ready by the time I got there.

Got to the shop and they were just finishing with the last bit of trim...but the 360 was covered top to bottom in fine particles of bog, making it look white! Again, not a big deal for me as I would've been giving her a clean anyway....but it wasn't just on the outside!! The whole inside of the car was white, too!! Caked from the roof to the floor, in air vents and every nook and crevice imaginable.
I wasn't very impressed, (but I wanted to get her back home as I've been having severe separation anxiety) so I told them I expect them to clean the inside before I pay. They hit it over with compressed air and gave it half arsed wipe down before handing me the keys. Trying to compose myself and eager to finish my day before I end someone else's, I reluctantly paid and was on my way.

Now, this is where it gets messy.

When they were working on the car they had the rear end jacked up almost a metre from the ground. It was on a 40-50 degree angle to the point that the front of the car was almost touching the concrete.

I happen to have a leaky gearbox input shaft seal which leaks oil into the torque tube. It's not a serious leak, so I have decided to leave it until I get an LSD and swap out the spare box I have. However, because the car was jacked up so high at the rear, the oil leaked down my torque tube and into the bellhousing. My clutch has been soaked and it slipped in most gears with part throttle driving home.

Needless to say, I'm F@#K!NG LIVID!!! I'm already plotting my alibi and deciding which tropical island to paddle to.

Although this entire experience is ridiculous, is it their fault my clutch is soaked in oil? They weren't to know that I had a leaky seal. You should be able to Jack a car up the way they did and not cause any issues (I guess).
On the other hand, they knew it was dripping oil from the bellhousing as there was a pool of oil and the car was jacked up to the bean-stalk at the rear, so it was all very visible.

The fact is that I had a perfectly functioning 3000km old clutch before dropping it off and now it's toast as far as I'm concerned. I could try spraying brake cleaner to at least dilute the oil in the area, but the clutch has been soaked and will need replacing IMO. It's an organic clutch disc.

The clutch is the thing which is setting me off. The rest I can suck it up and move on. I know they shouldn't have handed over the car in the state they did! But is the clutch issue really their fault? Grateful for any opinions.

Adding the cherry to the cake, they even left my doors open and drained my battery dead flat. Again, not a major problem on its own, but when you add it all up its a total mess.

Comments

• The oil leak isn't their fault. Just bad luck
    paul0075ALVO360
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    Yeah, I agree, it's not their fault, and you find cars with stuff leaking from the bellhousing all the time, so it usually isn't cause for alarm. You can probably get in from the side of the bellhousing and just douse everything in brake cleaner, that should help.
    paul0075ALVO360
  • edited June 22
    Which shop was it? Wasnt kelly bros by chance?
    You should be able to save the clutch disc but will probably need to remove it to give it a good clean if jame's suggestion doesnt work
    paul0075egadsALVO360
  • Thanks guys, I appreciate the voices of reason. I always aim to give the benefit of the doubt and try to see things from multiple perspectives, but nobody wants to deal with crap like this if they don't have to.

@timbo It was a place in QBN - definitely not Kelly bros.

It would've only soaked into a small section of the disc. I've sprayed a tonne of brake cleaner into the bellhousing and have put my battery on charge. I really don't want to pull the engine out again if I don't have to. I'll update once I go for a decent drive...
  • Annoying, and a lesson to us all re leaking seals :(
  • Bummer man! I’ve seen a lot of body shops that don’t properly mask things and allow dust and overspray to get everywhere. Sloppy IMHO. I know they’re probably struggling to make their lease payments and rush things along, but if you can’t do things properly then close up shop and go work in a fast-food joint. Don’t ruin it for your customers FFS!
    ALVO360
  • Got to the shop and they were just finishing with the last bit of trim...but the 360 was covered top to bottom in fine particles of bog, making it look white! Again, not a big deal for me as I would've been giving her a clean anyway....but it wasn't just on the outside!! The whole inside of the car was white, too!! Caked from the roof to the floor, in air vents and every nook and crevice imaginable.

That is unprofessional. It would be enough to set me off, considering they're not doing the job for mates' rates. A friend once went to pick his car up from a panel shop when it looked like this, and he made them clean up their mess before he'd authorise payment.
    CanoeALVO360
  • What a bugger! After many bad experiences of paying others to service cars I appreciate your feelings.
    A word of advice that might be worth a try to reduce the possibility of a slipping oil soaked clutch.
    I backed the 360 up a steep bank, nowhere else to park. Drove off and clutch began slipping and crawled home. Oil had run out of the gearbox into the torque tube to the clutch. There was no evidence of an oil leak before that. I had to drive interstate in a few days so I tried a quick fix. I took off the dust cover ran the engine and sprayed in two cans of engine degreaser followed by a good hosing out with hot water. Greased the working parts and all was well. That was over 400k ago.

Others have tried this cheap fix and provided that there was no continuing oil leak and there was still some meat on the clutch plate it worked every time.
    ALVO360