240 [solved] No starties

volvodrivermanvolvodriverman (@volvodriverman) Barringwood Estate, Tasmania
edited June 15 in Troubleshooting
Just reco'd the b230fx in my 93 240 wagon & on install it has a crank no start issue. There's no injector pulse or spark.
I assumed cps so swapped in another known good one & nada. Flex plate is on correctly too. It should be possible to back probe the cps I'm assuming but does anyone know the values I'm looking for & on which pins?

Cheers brainiacs.

Comments

• Double check all electrical connections and also double check the flexplate is timed right

Always basics first with these scenarios
  • volvodrivermanvolvodriverman (@volvodriverman) Barringwood Estate, Tasmania
    Yep that's all taken care of. There's no bounce in the tacho on crank too fyi.
  • No spark?

Check voltage at the ignition coil
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    No injector pulse or spark: if you're confident the CPS is not at fault, check the power and grounds for the ECU and EZK. Check you can get a 1-1-1 from the diagnostic ports with ignition on reds, and check the manifold grounds.
    I'm not convinced I'm getting signal from the CPS. Wondering if the gap may have somehow opened up slightly between sensor & trigger wheel but it seems unlikely.

Will test it properly, or as best you can with a multi meter then move on with the above suggestions if it's a goer.
    egads
    Oh and all engine bay grounds are good and code 1 1 1 is present.
  • edited June 8
    My money is on the wiring to the CPS connector. I'd also be checking that 25amp fuse in the engine bay, isnt that for the ECU? Not sure if that fuse would prevent spark though..
    th4vdv9duoiv.jpg
    When I first did the LH2.4 swap in my 360, I had a no fuel or spark condition until I swapped over the ignition amplifier. Again, not sure if that would cause no injector pulse, but from memory it did for me.
  • edited June 8
    Oh and you can test the resistance between pin 20 and pin 23 on the ezk ICU. Pin 20 is ground and pin 23 is the CPS. Not sure what the resistance values should be, but if you're getting none, then you have isolated the problem.
    Additionally, the CPS has to be between 0.5mm and 1.5mm from the flywheel or flex plate to work.
    Sure enough no dice from CPS. New one on order. I guess these are the chances you take with 25yo sensors!
  • Curious as to how you came to the conclusion that it is definitely the CPS? If you have no resistance at the ICU, it could still be a wiring issue.
    Back probed the plug & checked for supply power which was there & then for signal on crank which was not there. Still could be that it's functional & not picking up the signal of course but for the sake of 50 odd bucks it seems silly not to replace it anyway.
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    Back probed the plug & checked for supply power which was there & then for signal on crank which was not there. Still could be that it's functional & not picking up the signal of course but for the sake of 50 odd bucks it seems silly not to replace it anyway.
    You'll get a signal (certainly enough for a multimeter to register) if it's anywhere even close to right. I put an oscilloscope on one once to check. So no signal would mean faulty sensor.
    ALVO360
    Awesome thanks always good to be sure!
  • No RPM sensor signal will set code 2-1-4 on the EZ-K (socket #6) and may set code 1-3-1 on the ECU (socket #2).

RPM sensor wiring
    [1] = Red, +12V - to EZ-K pin 10
    [2] = Blue, signal - to EZ-K pin 23
    [3] = Black, ground - to EZ-K pin 11

If you test the resistance using an ohm meter between terminals 1 and 2 of the RPM sensor when disconnected :

* RPM sensor p/n 1389567 (early) should read about 240 ohms - max 400 ohms when the engine is warm
    * RPM sensor p/n 3547847 (later) should read about 170 ohms - max 350 ohms when the engine is warm

Testing the RPM sensor with a voltmeter - RPM sensor in circuit

Connecting a voltmeter between terminals [1] of the RPM sensor (EZ-K pin 10) and [2] of the RPM sensor (EZ-K pin 23) should display 500mV or thereabout when cranking.

See - TPH 32043/1, pages 104 and 105, test process FE
    1LQhVAhm.png
    71 1800E |73 144 |74 142 |74 145 |79 242GT |88 780 |93 945T |93 945|2010 S80 V8
    ALVO360
    That's what I figured, was
    No RPM sensor signal will set code 2-1-4 on the EZ-K (socket #6) and may set code 1-3-1 on the ECU (socket #2).

RPM sensor wiring
    [1] = Red, +12V - to EZ-K pin 10
    [2] = Blue, signal - to EZ-K pin 23
    [3] = Black, ground - to EZ-K pin 11

If you test the resistance using an ohm meter between terminals 1 and 2 of the RPM sensor when disconnected :

* RPM sensor p/n 1389567 (early) should read about 240 ohms - max 400 ohms when the engine is warm
    * RPM sensor p/n 3547847 (later) should read about 170 ohms - max 350 ohms when the engine is warm

Testing the RPM sensor with a voltmeter - RPM sensor in circuit

Connecting a voltmeter between terminals [1] of the RPM sensor (EZ-K pin 10) and [2] of the RPM sensor (EZ-K pin 23) should display 500mV or thereabout when cranking.

See - TPH 32043/1, pages 104 and 105, test process FE

Thanks for this, invaluable info as always! New sensor did the trick.
    ALVO360egads