940 & 960 Exhaust leak in downpipe

BradBrad (@Brad) Sunshine Coast, QLD
edited May 14 in Troubleshooting
My 1991 940 B230FB has an exhaust leak in the down pipe/twin pipe between the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter. It's coming from behind the heat shield.
My knowledge of exhausts is extremely limited and I haven't yet taken it to an exhaust shop but, assuming it's not repairable what is the best or recommended replacement brand? Better yet, what brands are available for it? I imagine it would be limited.
Is replacement a DIY proposition? It doesn't appear to be that difficult.
Should I just cut off the heat shield and see how bad the hole is first?
Sorry for all the questions. Like I said, I know bugger all about exhausts.
Thanks everyone.

Comments

• edited April 29
    It's a simple replacement.

No need to pay a shop

If you're keeping the car, don't mess around, buy a new genuine pipe. You can replace it yourself. Don't forget the gaskets. While you're there, check the manifold flange nuts and studs, in fact now would be an ideal time to renew them, as well as the manifold nuts and or studs
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    Yeah you just buy a new downpipe already made up and get the shop to fit it. I'm not sure how easy 940 downpipes are to get hold off, but you could always source a used one from the wrecker. As a last resort an exhaust shop could take your existing one, cut the flanges off, and weld new pipes to them, but that would probably be the most expensive solution (maybe $300-$400)
  • BradBrad (@Brad) Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Thanks @ramrod and @jamesinc I appreciate your replies. Is there an Australian source for the genuine pipe? I see Skandix has it listed. Looks like I can get most of what I need (pipe, gaskets, nuts/bolts, etc) from them for around $600 delivered (with the Get Screwed Tax included).
    I'll also see what a second hand one would cost.
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    Thanks @ramrod and @jamesinc I appreciate your replies. Is there an Australian source for the genuine pipe? I see Skandix has it listed. Looks like I can get most of what I need (pipe, gaskets, nuts/bolts, etc) from them for around $600 delivered (with the Get Screwed Tax included).
    I'll also see what a second hand one would cost.
    Oof, $600 is steep, at that price I'd see about getting the exhaust shop to just make you a new one. Berry Motor Group down in Melbourne might have a spare, or GLT in Capalaba might be worth a try too
  • BradBrad (@Brad) Sunshine Coast, QLD
    I bit the bullet and bought the parts from Skandix. Turned out a bit cheaper than I expected: around AU$450 with shipping. That's mostly genuine parts including the pipe, gaskets, nuts, studs, clamps. I bought a few other things I needed too. Hopefully it will be here in a couple of weeks.