2019 Nationals in Bathurst are 8-10 November, just over three months away! Make sure to register at ozvolvo.org/nationals!

Interchange 79 242 to 92 240

Hi all. Have a Volvo 242gt. The car is currently a long distance from me hence the questions without measurements Am wondering if the underpinnings that is rear diff and suspension and front end from a late 240 will Interchange?
Need to totally rebuild mine but have an option on a 92 240 in great shape. Also are the 242 doors a different length to 4 door model door frames?

Yes these could be stupid questions so thanks in advance

Andy

Comments

• Am wondering if the underpinnings that is rear diff and suspension and front end from a late 240 will Interchange?

Yes, the suspension parts should. The bonnet, guards, and front sheet metal can, but it won't look correct as the 92 bonnet is shaped differently, as is the air inlet in front of the windscreen.

See post here which has pictures of headlights and front ends options.
    https://ozvolvo.org/discussion/comment/154422#Comment_154422
    are the 242 doors a different length to 4 door model door frames?

Yes, they are longer than 4-door fronts.
  • Thanks so much. That's great. I have a background in fabrication so will see if a bonnet can be reshaped at rear. Appreciate all your comments.
  • 240240 (@240) Canberra
    A 92 240 is close to 30 years old and will likely be worn, I would buying new suspension parts rather than pulling apart the 92 model.

If the purpose behind swapping the front end is to get the later style look, you should be able to do that and keep your current bonnet (ie just swap guards, lights etc). You'd need to find a grille from an 81-82 model though, I think.
  • I’m in the middle of using a 93 240 sedan donor car to rebuild a 79 245GL...you can see the thread here if you’re interested.
    https://ozvolvo.org/discussion/9202/gregs-79-245gl-barn-find/p1

As mentioned above the upper plenum panel below the windscreen changed shape in 1986 and the bonnet changed shape then to match. If you’re doing a complete re-build with rust repairs and a re-spray on your 242GT and want to update to the 92 front end, the best option would be to unpick the 92 upper plenum panel and weld it into the GT...especially if your GT has rust around the bottom of the windscreen. That way you can have all the parts match up.

Swapping over the suspension, fuel system, wiring harness etc. is pretty straightforward. Most of the new parts interchange easily onto the older car, with only some minor holes to be drilled and/or repositioned. I assume you’re going to swap in the later engine, fuel injection system etc? Another good project - please start a build thread on it if you are so inclined so we can follow along!
  • Thanks again for all this info. So fantastic yes when I get back to car I will take pics and start a thread. Cheers all
    carnut222
  • @ANDYPALM in your position, I'd be tempted to keep the existing 242 'flathood' bonnet, and just go with the 92 model guards and front panels, and then fit a 81 or 82 'egg crate' grille. The result will then appear similar to the 240T race cars of yore.

volvo-240t-ontrack-4.jpg
    carnut222
  • That is the plan. 242 as a gt isn't good enough for resto. So we are building a group A looking car. Well done.
  • That is the plan. 242 as a gt isn't good enough for resto. So we are building a group A looking car. Well done.

Just curious do you mean $$$value when finished or uniqueness?
  • I mean our 242 is missing too many parts to be a resto I love the 242gt but this one is just too sad to restore. They are certainly a great car