XC60 3.6 or V8. which is the better motor

So I'm looking at xc90's for my wife 😋. Which motor version would be best? Pro and cons for each.
Cheers

Comments

• RobRob (@Rob) - Lockyer Valley, SE Qld
    edited March 29
    Generally D5 > V8 > 2.5T > 3.2 > T6
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    In an xc90 I'd put the 3.2 over a 2.5anyday.
    Unless you hot up the 2.5 and work it hard it's just so slow and dangerous in my mind.
    cancer sucks
  • The 2.5 sure isn't going to win any races, but that's not what these cars are made for. From what I've heard and I'm not good at the later model cars at all, the 2.5 has a much better track record for complaints than the 3.2
    edited March 30
    Berry's xc70 with 3.2lt just sold to a mate, running like a sewing machine with well over 300K on it.
    You are only going to hear about the bad....
    The 2.5 is wrong in power delivery and lack of power.
    3.2 perfect for it.
    My 3.0 T6 is same as 3.2 basically. They use varying degrees of oil, only some give a warning to top up between services. Use decent oil and it helps.
    Can have all sorts of other issues just like all volvo engines and pretty well any other modern car out there. It's modern motors on a fine line basically.
  • V8 or D5 or don't bother
    Robjamesinc
  • iceton1975POM (MARK) (@iceton1975) Broadmeadows Victoria
    D5 few issues V8 suffer Transmission issues but good motor and smiles for miles
  • Berry's xc70 with 3.2lt just sold to a mate, running like a sewing machine with well over 300K on it.
    You are only going to hear about the bad....
    The 2.5 is wrong in power delivery and lack of power.
    3.2 perfect for it.

Red Book specs

3.2:
    Engine Code
    B6324S
    Power
    175kW @ 6200rpm
    Torque
    320Nm @ 3200rpm
    Power to Weight Ratio
    80.1 W/kg
    Acceleration 0-100km/h
    9.5 s

Engine Code
    B5254T
    Power
    154kW @ 5000rpm
    Torque
    320Nm @ 1500-4500rpm
    Power to Weight Ratio
    75.3 W/kg
    Acceleration 0-100km/h
    9.9 s

Never understood the 3.2 replacing the 2.5T. The turbo has the same 320NM torque across a larger RPM range, which equates to better overall driveability for most uses. Barely any difference in 0-100 times and the 3.2 uses about 10% more fuel. Never understood why Volvo dropped the 2.5 from the XC90 in 07 and went with the thirsty 6 cyl lump. I6 motors are my absolute favourite, but the I5T pulls hard and does the job on less fuel, well suited to the XC90 IMO.
    Then, neither are any good for the xc90...
    I've driven a 2.5t,its not confidence inspiring empty. Can't imagine it being a good drive full.
    Hell, even the v70t5 with more boost was annoying at full capacity.
    Once you've had the 6 you will know.
  • Then, neither are any good for the xc90...
    I've driven a 2.5t,its not confidence inspiring empty. Can't imagine it being a good drive full.

The T5 drives fine, learn how to drive truck and then you will appreciate anything with more than 20hp per tonne
    I think you need to add i was in an s80 with three wheels getting pulled backwards and was told to "hold on shit is about to get real".
  • edited April 11
    Pulled a heavy boat with the 2.5T. Sure the D5 and V8 are better suited to the car, but the 2.5T pulls sufficiently when you push it. I'd be putting the 2.5T third on the list, perhaps first if bang for your buck is a primary consideration. It is probably more stressed than the other engines in this vehicle, so I just give it some love more often.

Never tried the 3.2 and not attracted to it. Having owned several 960's and S90's (which are admittedly not exactly the same motor), I found these motors to be smooth and acceptable but essentially thirsty pigs of things which should have more torque across the range like the Ford Barra.
  • The 2.5T never dies (nearly) it's the 5 speed auto that was junk
    Mate has 3.2 that was Berry's managers car, xc70, over 300K kilometres. Runs like a sewing machine
  • Run on 98, the T5 is fine once your used to it and using vehicle momentum rather than fighting it.
    XC90 D5's are single turbo only and in comparison is very laggy off the line (using brakes to launch is helpful when needed into traffic). I prefer the D5 for cruising but its not really better than the T5 for overtaking unless on an incline. I expect the T6 shines here.
    Yeah the missus s80d5 is laggy, I want a tune.
  • Run on 98, the T5 is fine once your used to it and using vehicle momentum rather than fighting it.
    XC90 D5's are single turbo only and in comparison is very laggy off the line (using brakes to launch is helpful when needed into traffic). I prefer the D5 for cruising but its not really better than the T5 for overtaking unless on an incline. I expect the T6 shines here.

The v8 is the only option for not having to use momentum or have proper planning
  • I worked for Volvo for 10 years from 2004 onward. Right at the time when all these above engines were released and my drive car was all of those on a daily basis. I have to say the 3.2 late version was much better than the 2.5t. The latest of the 3.2 had a few more kilowatts too but it is a better car in the xc90 than the 2.5t as when it’s going it revs better and overtakes easier and faster and plus it has the 6 speed auto vs the 5 speed in the earlier 2.5t. The v8 I must say is nice but I’d take a 3.2 r design all the way. I think the latest got 179kw off the top of my head. On a long trip it’s fine as you’re cruising at a steady speed and if you need to pass a truck or something the extra 20kw or so over the 2.5t is definitely felt when mashing the foot. Just my 10c.
    Cubes!
    Volvirgin
  • Been thinking about getting one but just about very T6 out there has a stuffed transmission.
    There's at least 3 or 4 of them for sale now in decent condition for around $1000
    But needing $1000 to $6000 worth of transmission work?