2019 Nationals in Bathurst are 8-10 November, just over three months away! Make sure to register at ozvolvo.org/nationals!

1990 Volvo 240 GL Sedan [White] Manual Unleaded QLD

edited February 28 in Wanted
Hey guys I'm in the hunt for one of these. The car needs to be running and in great shape for a daily driver. I don't really want to have to put a lot of work into it. Must be reliable daily driver. I am looking to sell my current car before my contract expires in July '19 so I want a seamless transition and cannot be car-less. I'm in Brisbane. PM me thanks.

Comments

• @joronamo I have a manual 1992 sedan, which I wasn't really planning on selling but I now have another car so could be tempted to sell for the right offer.
    Its 26 years old so it isn't 100% perfect but it is a reliable daily driver.

BTW you won't find a manual 240 newer than 1990, they only offered autos then. (Mine has been converted).

Let me know if interested
    Spac
  • Thanks for the message and the info.
  • There is no such thing as a diesel 240 in Australia
    goodenough
  • Cheers.
  • Hey I just found a beautiful White Volvo 240 parked next to my house. I left a note on the driver's windshield so hopefully they reply. The only problem is its an auto and I want an manual. I'm not much of a car guru so is changing transmissions straightforward or complicated and not recommended with these vehicles?
  • 240240 (@240) Canberra
    Mine was auto when I got it and I converted it to manual.
    I would budget about $2000 to accumulate the required parts, and have them fitted by someone.
    Seems like a lot but if the car is otherwise perfect then it's worth it, and probably not much more expensive than finding a good manual one.
  • Cheers mate. Got a missed call from the owner and called him back 10 min later and he was busy so he will call me back. Fingers crossed.
  • Money aside, is the mod/conversion safe or does it make the car less reliable and weaker? I would get it done by a professional like GLT of course.
  • 240240 (@240) Canberra
    No it doesn't compromise anything.

The part where some people bodge it a bit is with the whole for the clutch cylinder, the proper way to do it is to swap the whole plate in the firewall with one from a manual car, but some people just drill a hole in the existing one.
    If it's done by a pro, either way is probably fine.

The hardest part for you would be getting all the required parts.
  • If I take it to GLT will they be able to source authentic genuine parts for me or do shops usually get generic parts or dodgy parts?
  • 240240 (@240) Canberra
    You'd have to talk to them about parts availability but for many things you will need to find 2nd hand parts.
    Mainly:
    -gearbox
    -flywheel
    -tailshaft
    -crossmember

For parts like the clutch you can get new parts.
  • Cheers appreciate your help.
  • Hey are their any good 240 Manuals still for sale?

• Does it have to be white? I still have mine if you're interested

• No it doesn't. How much are you asking? Photos etc would be great.

• I've sent you a PM