240 Repairing body damage - what would you do?

edited January 15 in General
Just mulling over the options for repairing the body damage which my 240 wagon had suffered before it came into my ownership.

Here's the damage:

img_20181107_184425035_hdr.jpg

The nearside has obviously had a scrape which has mostly affected the rear door and wheelarch. The wheelarch is not quite as bad as the photo makes it look - I think at least half of the damage is paint residue which could presumably be polished out. The area nearest the door however is dented and down to bare metal.

I don't want to leave it unrepaired, but I also don't want to spend a fortune on the car.

I'd just be interested in hearing some opinions re getting it repaired - whether that be through a body shop, smart repair place or other. It's metallic gold so presumably will be a pain to colour match.
1992 240 Wagon, Adelaide

My blog: https://avolvoinadelaide.wordpress.com/

Comments

• Beyond repairable, crush it.
  • You're looking at panel and paint for everything except the front door, which a shop is likely to want to replace. I'd be looking for a smaller friendly body shop that works for cash/non insurance.

Or do a TAFE course and tackle it yourself if the DIY life interests you.
  • I'd love to go down the diy route but I'm far from the arty type and worry that my bodywork skills won't be up to scratch and I'll end up having to pay someone anyway just to fix what I've just bodged up...

What makes you think a body shop would want to replace the front door? Would that crease be difficult to fix? I did wonder about getting a paintless dent repair place to look at that but it might be too close to the edge of the door for them.

At the end of the day the doors don't really worry me and I'd be happy to live with them as they are. The wheelarch and rear panel I'd really like fixed...
  • The front door has two issues. Getting to the dent is one, because panel shops would want to get behind it to help knock it out. The second is that pdr guys will probably say it is creased and stretched, making it unsuitable for pdr. It isn't impossible to do something with it, but a lot of places wouldn't want to put the time in. Quicker and easier to whack another door on
    paul0075
  • I would leave it personally. None of them are hard jobs for someone with the right skills, but if it goes to a shop they will repair and paint almost the whole side to blend the colour. Then with one side looking smick, every other faded bit or chip etc will bother you more.

Any panel beater could repair that door quicker then it would take them to remove it.

Could always go the back yard acrylic lacquer route or the repco pre mixed spray cans, but results will vary largely depending on your skills.

I say leave it, all of my cars have some sort off body damage, unless it's severe or you have miss matched panels it never bothers me too much.
    Spac
  • SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.
    If that was an insurance repair, its an economical write-off ten times over.

Either leave it, or make it a learning opportunity.

If it was mine and I decided that I couldn't leave it alone: replace door, bash and bog the wheel arch, bash and bog around the tail-light. The wheel arch will be far more difficult to do well than the tail-light.

The paint will be more of a hassle than the body work.
  • Thanks all – it has given me some things to think about. The car is by no means mint so I do not want to spend huge sums of money on it. On the other hand I do not want to leave the wheelarch damage in bare metal (galvanised or not), nor the taillight area damaged as a) there is obviously a small amount of rust forming where the paintwork is cracked and b) I presume water is likely to find its way inside the car when washing etc. I can live with mismatched paint.

I have a friend who used to be in the body shop trade – I might ask him what he thinks the best course of action would be and whether he has any recommendations for anyone locally who might have a look at it in their spare time.

The front door I am happy to leave, the rear door I reckon will polish out 90% and I can live with too. Unless of course I stumble across two good replacement doors in the right colour at some point in the future...
  • JakeNZJJakeNZ (@JakeNZ) South Auckland, NZ
    Just bog and sand back to shape. As above repainting is the biggest issue as you wont be able to get an exact match.
    Xs4Eyes
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    If you haven't had a rwc certification check don't when you do it won't pass because of damage.
    cancer sucks
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    I hope the car was nearly free....
  • No RWC here in SA so no problems with that πŸ™‚
    egads
  • I have a gold 93 240 in same colour. I need to check the LH doors as I think one has a dent. Located Daylesford VIC if you’re ever over this way. $200 for the pair.
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    The wheel arch is the only annoying bit in all of that, it would require some patience with body filler (and paint, obviously, which is also harder to get right on that gold metallic shade)
    egads